Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cute and Easy Burp Cloths

We are going to my niece's baby shower tonight so I made her some burp cloths. It was super easy and I think they are so cute. Plus, there is so much cute fabric and you can't possibly make quilts out of all of it. Here is how I did it.

Two fat quarters makes 2 burp cloths. Iron 2 fat quarters together, right sides together. Then fold them in half to make a 9" X 22" rectangle.




Square up all four sides of the rectangle. Keep the burp cloths stacked on top of each other and use a small mixing bowl to round all four corners.

Sew 1/4" seam around the edge of each burp cloth. Leave an opening about 3" in one side so you can turn it right side out.

Before you turn it right side out, iron one side of the seam allowance up. (Like on the left side of the photo below.) Then turn it right side out.

Iron the cloth good and flat. I just ironed the opening under too.

Top-stitch around the edge. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch, but sometimes I don't have the patience. I think it looks cute to sew two rows of top-stitching, one right along the edge and one in about 1/4". (You don't need to worry about the little opening, when you top stitch everything gets taken care of.)

My nine year old daughter helped me make them. She did the ironing while I did the sewing. When we were all done she lamented that they are so cute right now and soon they will be all covered in throw-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment